Malaria In Nigeria: Everything You Need To Know About Artemisinin Anti-Malaria Drug

Malaria In Nigeria

MalariaMalaria has pose a threat to 97% of Nigeria’s Population, the other 3% populations live in the malaria free highlands. There were 228 million cases of malaria and 405,000 malaria deaths Worldwide in 2018.
Do you know that there are an estimated 100 million malaria cases with over 300,000 deaths per year in Nigeria?

What is Malaria?
Malaria is an infectious life-threatening disease caused by a parasites that is transmitted to humans through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes: it is curable and preventable. People get illed with malaria when the parasite enters the blood.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), children aged under 5-years are the most vulnerable group affected by malaria in 2018 analysis.

What are the symptoms of malaria?

The symptoms of malaria typically develop within 10 days to 4 weeks following the infection. In some cases, symptoms may not develop for several months.
Some malarial parasites can enter the body but will be dormant for long periods of time.

READ MORE: Malaria Treatment, Prevention And Symptoms

Common Symptoms Of Malaria Include:

1. Shaking chills that can range from moderate to severe
2. High fever
3. Profuse sweating
4. Headache
5 Nausea
6. vomiting
7 Abdominal pain
8. Diarrhea
9. Anemia
10. Muscle pain
11. Convulsions
12. Coma

Diagnosis And Treatment of Malaria

Artemisinin
Early diagnosis and treatment of malaria will reduce the disease and prevent death cases.

The best available treatment is Artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) has become the standard treatment of uncomplicated malaria.
Nonetheless you’re advised to see your doctor when you discover the symptoms above.

READ MORE: About Artemisinin Anti-malaria Drugs And Doses

Tips To Prevent Malaria

Talk to your doctor if you’re traveling to an area where malaria is common or if you live in such an area. You may be prescribed medications to prevent the disease.

These medications are the same as those used to treat the disease and should be taken before, during, and after your trip.

Talk to your doctor about long-term prevention if you live in an area where malaria is common. Sleeping under a *mosquito net* may help prevent being bitten by an infected mosquito. Covering your skin or using mosquito repellant may also help prevent infection.

Vaccine Against Malaria

RST,S/AS01 (RTS,S) is a Vaccine that works against the deadliest malaria parasite globally. It was recommended in 2016 January.

READ MORE: About Malaria Vaccine

Prevention is said to be better than Cure!

Victor B. Matabof
Public Health Advocate