If you have ever wondered how to make pepper soup spice, you might be admiring what gives it its unique and earthy flavor. I’m going to show you how to make pepper soup spice from scratch using the traditional ethnic spices, and also how to make it using everyday spices from your local grocery store.
Nigerian pepper soup dishes are made with a blend of complex and unique spices. These spices are commonly found in the West African region and used in a variety of ethnic soups, like this, why buy pepper soup spices from the market, when you can make yours at home?
READ ALSO: Top 5 Healthy Foods In Nigeria
Here’s How To Make Pepper Soup Spice
Homemade Pepper Soup Spice Mix:
How to make pepper soup spice is so easy to prepare and the aroma is a lot better than the pre-packed ones you get at the stores. Apart from the fresh aroma, you also know what goes into your Pepper Soup Spice mix , with no additives or preservatives added into it and its more healthier for your health.
Ingredients On How To Make Pepper Soup Spice:
- 6 to 8 pieces calabash Nutmeg
- 8 pieces Negro pepper (Uda seeds)
- 1 tablespoonful seeds of Aligator pepper (Atariko/Ulima seed)
- This makes about 3 tablespoonful pepper soup spice mix
Note: some people add dried ginger roots and cubeb peppers(uziza seeds) to their mix, so feel free to add a little if you want to.
Preparation On How To Make Pepper Soup Spice
- First roast the Calabash Nutmeg on a frying pan until it begins to turn dark brown and you can smell its lovely aroma.
- Gently peel off the outer skin and take out the seed inside
- Now, combine the calabash nutmeg, Negro pepper (Uda seeds) and Aligator pepper(Atariko/Ulima seeds) in a blender, and grind to a fine powder.
- Pour into an airtight container and store in a dry place. This pepper soup spice mix keeps for up to a year if stored properly.
Now you have Your Homemade Pepper spice.
READ ALSO: How To Store Leftover Tomatoes Paste