There are 21 Amazing dates benefits for skin and hair you probably don’t know about. It’s a local name ( Dabidun) by the Yorubas and popularly called (Dabino) by the Hausas. The botanical name is Phonex dacylifera. Family name Arecaceae.
Historically, the date palm tree has been adjudged to be one of the oldest fruit-bearing tree on earth which has been analyzed for the dates benefits for skin and hair. Their production and consumption have been massive in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
The date palm emanated from Mesopotamia and Egypt. These are the areas from which plantation was first described and where fossil remains of cultivated areas were found. The main date-producing countries of the world are Algeria, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia, while in the Sahel, are Dakar/Senegal to Lake Chad and Sudan.
In northern states of Nigeria such as Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna, and other northeastern states, You can find it there too.
Dates are a staple ingredient in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. They are the sweet fruit from the date palm tree and one of the world’s oldest cultivated fruits. Evidence shows that they have been cultivated since 6000 B.C.
Dates are oval and cylindrical in shape and have a bright red to bright yellow color when ripe. Each date contains a single seed. There are some 400 varieties of dates available in the market.
You can include dates in different ways in your diet. You can eat them as snacks or sprinkle chopped dates in sweet dishes, cakes, and puddings. Dates also go well in savory dishes.
Along with being tasty and delicious, they are rich in several nutrients that provide immense health benefits. Dates are high in iron content. They are also a good source of potassium, protein, dietary fiber, calcium, B vitamins as well as vitamins A and C.
Other trace minerals include copper, magnesium, manganese, selenium, and zinc. They also possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic properties.
The sugar content of ripe dates is about 80 percent and the quality of dates depends on the glucose, fructose, and sucrose content.
Due to this sugar quantity, it is advised to eat dates in moderation. You only need a handful daily to enjoy the health benefits.
READ ALSO: How Tiger Nut Juice Helps You Last Longer In Bed
- Improves Energy
For an immediate supply of energy, dates are a nice option. Being huge in natural sugars, such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose, they give instant energy and revitalize the body whenever you need it.
In addition, they include potassium, a mineral your body needs to convert sugar into energy.
- You can add chopped dates to your morning cereal or smoothies to stay energetic throughout the day.
- You can eat a few dates as an afternoon snack when you are feeling lethargic or sluggish.
- Treats Constipation
Dates have a laxative effect, which can help people experiencing constipation. They are high in soluble fiber, which promotes healthy bowel movements and smooth passage of food through the intestinal tract.
1. You can soak 8 to 10 dates, after removing the seeds, in a glass of water overnight.
2. The next morning, granulate the dates along with the water until you get a syrup-like consistency.
3. Drink it on an empty stomach daily.
- Dates Fight Anemia
Iron deficiency is the greater common cause of low hemoglobin levels, which results in anemia. The iron in dates aids hemoglobin production to help deal with anemia. In addition, vitamin C in dates plays an important role in the body’s absorption of iron.
A proper iron level in the body helps lessen feelings of tiredness and sluggishness, common symptoms in anemic people.
- Eat some dry dates, followed by a cup of warm milk, twice daily.
- Alternatively, add 1 tablespoon of chopped dates to a cup of milk and boil it. Drink it a few times daily.
- Promotes Healthy Pregnancy
Dates encompass several nutrients that are beneficial during pregnancy for both the mother and unborn baby. As illustrated earlier, it also alleviates constipation, a popular problem during pregnancy.
In addition, they support maintaining uterine muscles and make the birth of the child easier. According to a 2011 study published in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, eating dates during late pregnancy lessens the need for induction and augmentation of labor.
- Eat 6 to 8 dates daily as a healthy snack.
- You can even cook chopped dates in milk and have it once or twice daily.
5. Cures Hangover
You can use dates to fight off the negative effects (both short- and long-term) of drinking alcoholic beverages. They help with detoxifying and clearing out toxins from the liver due to excessive alcohol consumption, thus reducing hangovers.
- Soak 4 or 5 dates in 1 cup of water for a few hours.
- Mash the soaked dates in the water and remove the seeds.
- Drink the water with the pulp of the dates twice a day.
- Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Dates are also good for your cardiovascular health, thanks to their antihyperlipidemic effects. The low sodium and high potassium content help regulate heart rate and keep blood pressure under control. Potassium even reduces the risk of strokes and other heart-related diseases.
READ MORE ABOUT CONSTIPATION HERE
In addition, the magnesium content aids in proper heart functioning and reduces the risk of stroke.
Consume soaked dates daily to reduce the risk of heart problems.
- Aids Nervous System Functioning
The several B vitamins in dates help boost the health and functionality of the nervous system. A healthy nervous system helps all the parts of the body to communicate with each other properly and efficiently.
The rich potassium content in dates also regulates a healthy nervous system and improves sleep and your brain’s alertness.
In addition, the antioxidants in dates fight free radicals, which in turn enhances your cognitive functioning.
To keep your brain and nervous system working properly, start eating a few dates daily.
- Relieves Arthritis Inflammation
Dates possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help manage pain and alleviate inflammation in the joints, two common symptoms of arthritis.
In addition, their magnesium and potassium content helps maintain bone strength and reduces the risk of arthritis.
- To reduce inflammation related to arthritis, massage the affected area with warm date seed oil 2 or 3 times daily.
- Also, eat a handful of dates daily.
Additional Tips on dates benefits for skin and hair
- It is advisable to purchase dates in good packaging conditions.
- Thoroughly wash dates before eating them.
- The best way to eat dates is when they are fresh, in season, and rich in water content.
- To reap the health benefits, always opt for good quality dates. Buy fleshy and evenly colored dates. Make sure there is no artificial sugar coating on them.
- Eat dates in moderation, as the high fructose content can harm your health.
- Sexual Advantage
- Dates are known to increase one’s sexual stamina. It has been used as an aphrodisiac for ages.
- For this purpose, dates have to be soaked overnight in goat milk and consumed the next morning.
- Abdominal Cancer Cure
- Dates help in healing abdominal cancer.
- The benefits of dates are so many that one must make it a habit to include dates in their daily diet
- Instant Energy Provider
Medjool dates, or any dates for that matter, are packed with carbohydrates. They are an instant pick-me-up if you’re running low on energy. Two dates will give you 40gm of carbohydrates, saving you from dry food spells.
- Healthy Stomach
Dates are rich in fiber, and they make our stomachs and intestines stronger than ever. Dietary fiber has many benefits, ranging from controlling blood sugar to promoting weight loss. Medjool dates supply you with nearly 30% of your daily fiber requirements, which helps with digestion.
- Constipation Control
Are constipation problems making you waste long hours in the toilet? Then you’ve got to have Medjool dates. It will ease up that constipation trouble within no time (1). Why? That’s the fiber working its charm in your intestines.
The dates will similarly help harden stools in case of diarrhea. Gotta stay out of the toilet if great things should happen in life, isn’t that right?
- Healthy Teeth And Bones
If you want a perfect smile and beautiful frame, have dates. Their manganese content contributes to calcium absorption, giving good teeth and good bones.
Skin Benefits Of Dates
Dates are one of the sweetest fruits in the world. As listed earlier, dates are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and magnesium. These nutrients not only boost our overall health but also make our skin beautiful and supple.
Let’s take a look at the skin benefits provided by dates:
- Skin Elasticity
- Dates are a good source of vitamin C and vitamin P. this help enhance the skin’s elasticity.
- The nutrients in dates also enhance the quality of the subcutaneous tissues, making your skin tender and smooth.
- Regular intake of dates can combat various skin problems, as well as strengthen the elasticity of your skin.
- Anti-aging Benefits
- Free radicals harm your skin cells, resulting in premature aging of the skin. Vitamin C present in dates helps prevent oxidation.
- It also curbs the aggregation of melanin in your body.
- The nutrients in dates deter fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dates have been considered the herbal elixir of life for ages. They are renowned for enriching and replenishing blood, thus providing you with youthful-looking skin.
- Treatment Of Skin Problems:
- Vitamin B included in dates is helpful for your skin
- Depletion of this vitamin can steer to several skin issues
- Being a natural source of vitamin B, dates can help remove skin problems like stretch marks..
- Massage dates oil in the following procedure:
The oil extracted from dates is packed with nutritious value of dates.
They also comprise anti-microbial properties which make them a perfect massage oil to treat skin probs.
In fact, it is a popular age-old remedy for regenerating and rejuvenating aging skin and healing cuts and scars.
Dates benefits for hair and skin
The state of your hair relies on your general health. Hair follicles need an adequate supply of nutrients for optimal growth and maintenance. Being packed with several nutrients, dates offer the following benefits to strong hair:
- For Hair Follicles: Dates are outstanding for your hair. Consuming two to three dates every day will strengthen your hair follicles and make your hair strands stronger and healthier.
- Hair Loss: Vitamin B included in dates is helpful for your hair. Depletion of this vitamin can lead to weak and brittle hair. Anemia is also one of the reasons for hair loss, particularly among women. Dates include iron, which can effectively heal anemia caused due to menstruation and delivery. Therefore, consuming dates is a natural way of treating hair loss problems.
In case of excessive hair fall, try consuming dry dates daily. They can strengthen your hair roots, thus making your hair stronger.
21. For Healthy Hair
Dates being loaded with nutrients and dates oil is excellent for your hair growth as it maintains the hair follicles and assists fight hair problems. Regular application of this oil will make your hair thick and strong, and reduce breakage.